Thread: New to bulking
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I would aim for about 3500 clean cals and watch the scale. I'm not one so much for bulking as I am for eating enough to gain weight. It's a lot of give and take. You need to watch the scale, and adjust. I would aim for a pound a month, or 2 if you have never made substantial gains before.

As far as myth number one above, it's not completely a myth. The body does not flip from fat burning mode to fat storing mode the second you eat one extra calorie. So in overfeeding windows of 2 weeks several studies have revealed that the body does in fact produce more muscle. After two weeks the body - during a bulk - becomes more efficient at storing fat. So I like the possibility of taking a week of two "off" and eating slightly lower cals during this time.

A study analyzing untrained (non-lifting) sumo wrestlers revealed that they have as much lean body mass as high level natural bodybuilders. This statement tends to freak people out, but it's a reality none the less.

Getting back on track, I am not telling you to eat like a pig and become a sumo wrestler. But you do need to find that sweet spot where you know you are eating enough, and the scale and mirror reveal that.

An average rank beginner can can about 15 pounds of muscle during their first year of hard training, with the first 3 months being the best.

The older you get, the cleaner you should bulk. The more muscle you have, the cleaner you should bulk. Young guys who are rank beginners can eat like buzzsaws and generally not pay the price.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-27-2010 at 08:01 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote