View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
Last time I missed a bench, it was about two inches off the chest.

From what I've read about powerlifting meet rules, I need to incorporate a long pause at the bottom, which I think would add quite a bit of a challenge from my typical light touch on my sternum and push. There is a bench video from Dave Tate that helped me adjust my form/technique to more like you are talking about and it's helped quite a bit in moving my numbers up.
Many people attack the "pause" differently. I train heavy and don't worry about it. Some people will train with a pause on every rep. Either way, get strong and come meet time, start under your max with your first bench.

One thing I forgot about benching is to grip the bar like you're trying to bend it from the ends towards your feet.

Dave tate taught me a lot about benching. There's video on the forum about "bending the bar". Let me dig it up.

BTW, if you're sticking a couple inches up, time for 1,2 and 3 board presses, pin presses, etc.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote