View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I will add that sometimes frequency is automatically viewed as overtraining, meaning that training a bodypart more than once per week is automatically overtraining. I do not believe this at all.

My opinion is that frequency can exist as long as you are not trying to do 2-3 hour works 6 days a week. I know some young guys can hang with this, but the jury is out on how they will feel in their 40's.

So again, because of this, one of the important questions ion this discussion is...just because you can, should you?

I want to frame this questions around natural lifting.

There is a strong belief that as a natural you can continue to make big gains, and you can get as big as a steroid user - it just takes longer. This is untrue. Therefore, the more muscle you gain, the less return on investment you receive for beating your body up. Do not interpret this as saying you shouldn't work hard or push yourself. I'm not advocating mediocrity. I'm simply trying to get to the core of hard and smart training.

Far too many lifters don't train hard enough. They use bloated programs that have too many redundant isolation exercises, and they don't push themselves on every set.

So with the reality in mind that muscle gains are finite for natties, if muscle gain is your primary goal, do you need high volume and frequency to maximize your genetic potential...or do you simply need 3-4 training days per week, and hard work on those days?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-17-2010 at 07:59 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote