View Single Post
Old 10-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've overtrained once (at the age of 21) - on a 3 on, 1 off push/pull/legs split. I was doing about 25-30 sets per work for about 4-5 months, including a load of squatting and rack deads each week. Even then, I would consider that overtraining experience minimal. I am like a freak and slept like a bear, and after 3 days I got back on the same program.

With that said, I've learned to annihilate a muscle in about 6 to 8 sets in my old age. I don't think I could do 30 sets for a muscle if I tried. Nothing against guys who train with greater volume. To each his own. I just like destroying my body in as few sets as possible.

Personally, I don't believe in an excessive amount of slow negatives with heavy weight. Take bench press for example, the body is meant to push the weight away, not slowly lower it. Slow lowering is not a natural movement. By "slowly lowering", I'm talking about excessive slowness. On top of this, eccentric stresses kill the CNS first and foremost. I am a firm believer that once the weight gets heavy, you allow the weight to determine the eccentric.

Sure, eccentrics have been show to be instrumental in muscle mass, but with heavy weight, all eccentrics become difficult anyway. So therefore, heavy weight creates heavy eccentric stress naturally.

Now, as a caveat, I think you can train to failure and use eccentrics to some degree if volume is minimized. DC training is a good example of this. DC doesn't have you doing 8 exercises per bodypart. At least with DC you get in, destroy, and get out.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 10-01-2010 at 03:49 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote