View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I am a firm believer in progression, under any system. I believe that you can train like a powerlifter, or train for the pump, using feel and lighter weight, as long as you are progressing someway, somehow - and you will gain.

Most bodybuilders I see that focus on the pump are still relatively strong. They didn't start benching 95 and stay there. I would also add that many of them, including Frank Zane and guys like Vic Costa, lifted heavy early in their careers. Frank Zane mentions in his interview that he used a program of 3 on, 1 off, and each of these days were based upon either the squat, deadlift or bench.

I often see guys turn to pump-based training after most of their gains have come, and then preach it to the masses. Even Arnold himself made a fair amount of his gains doing Reg Park's routine, long before he started "pumping".

So long story short...however you train, sooner or later you have to progress someway, somehow. This doesn't mean you need to lift like a powerlifter - by no means. But you will be much stronger then average Joe Schmoe off the street.

I am speaking for naturals only...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote