View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA Max View Post
how would you test the body with light weight and get as big as this doctor? I thought 15+ reps was not a good thing? And i have heard people scream you cant get big with out squats and dead lifts? These guys in my gym who he works out with never squat and never dead..i asked him why and he said its not good for your body and or back to pull up that kind of weight..he said wait till your my age and see where your back is at lifting all that weight
...i also mention squats and he said its nonesence..you can get wheels with out them
For the doc...either he was born a genetic freak, or at some point he employed progressive resistance. He might say he trains "light", but that might mean a 185 to 225 bench for 18 reps. That's "relatively" light, but still heavy ass weight and more reps at 225 than I can do. We have to be careful with statements like the one he made. I would highly wager that he's not benching 95 pounds for reps, or doing 10 pound dumbbell curls.

Also keep in mind that the more ripped you get, the bigger you look. See Shaun Clarida's pictures below. Shaun weighs 130-ish. If the doc looks 250 and beefy ripped he's on the love sauce.

Big wheels...You can get wheels with leg presses. There are several bodybuilders I know that don't use them.

As far as reps, one of the men that beat Arnold, Chet Yorton, loved to train with 22 rep sets. Reps don't matter much if the weight is challenging. High rep sets (15 rep range) are often associated with isolation exercises, but used with a moderate weight, and with compound-style lifts can be very beneficial for muscle gains.

I don't believe anyone is saying you can't get big without squats and deadlifts. They are simply the two best bodybuilding exercises.

I've seen 3 natural contests this year and the 2 worst bodyparts on stage for a good number of competitors are back and legs. I am betting many of these guys don't squat and deadlift. You can certainly train without them, but for most genetically average individuals they are by far and away worth it.

As far as you doctor...you said he was shredded. How much do you think he weighed? Shaun Clarida is shredded and looks like a monster, and only weighs 132:

Attached Images

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote