View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys_trim View Post
Man I could have come in 2nd. What is the difference between training for strength and training to gain muscle? Now that I've seen this I would really like to compete. But I need some advice and a good time frame.
Not as much as you would think. As long as you focus on the primary lifts, you can train for both sports at the same time.

A program like Wendler's 5/3/1 is real solid. You can periodize the real big lifts, while also adding in some work for both strength and size.

Programs like what Kman created, or what Jwood uses are both amazing for size and strength.

I trained like a bodybuilder for most of my life, but concentrated on compound lifts. It made me pretty darn strong. Point being - the door is wide open as to how you train.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote