View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've always been against the lifting is 80% diet nonsense. Most of it comes from bodybuilding and cutting diets, and bodybuilders repeat it like parrots. And it hurts the average, non-genetically gifted lifter.

Lifting is not 80% diet. You need an aggressive training approach that is also well constructed.

No big bodybuilder or powerlifter becomes successful with 80% diet. Food is food is food. I am about the least OCD lifter on the planet, and nearly to a fault.

Currently I eat NO solid food all day long...I drink only whey. This drives many of my bodybuilding friends ape****...literally.

"You're going to lose all your mass!"

"You're going to lose all your strength!"

I am not losing either. Because I eat like a complete slob at night and get in my calories. I will say that I am not for a wild west approach to dieting. I've ran diets before with lower protein and lost mass. What I am against is this notion that you have to micromanage every macronutrient and eat exactly 17.678345737 grams of fat every 2.5 hours or else you will die.

Rippetoe is my dieting role model. Eat, eat, eat and get your GOMAD every day. It is SO much easier to gain mass when you eat like a beast. It sure doesn't hurt for strength either.

But everyone wants to nibble slowly, eating 1.2 grams of this and that every 337.8 seconds, and they stay small. I got huge fast in college. No one told me how to eat. I just ate like a slob because I was hungry. In 2009 I bulked. My avatar shows the fruit of my labor. I have nothing against guys who want to stay lean and nibble, but man, if you want to get big train and eat like a beast. It's the fast way.

Pendlay is dead on...it's much easier to cut fat then to gain muscle slowly eating all that plain chicken breast and broccoli nonsense.

I will end with this...if you want to minimize fat gains while adding mass, then diet is VERY important. If you want to cut fat and shred, diet is very important. If you want to get big and strong, eat big and get your protein. Simply stated...make sure you're not undereating.

/End my 2 cents

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-01-2010 at 09:58 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote