View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
kman025
1st MOM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72 Points: 12,439, Level: 72
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

kman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machinekman025 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
Kman - I think most guys go into the military, not because they have an overwhelming sense of patriotism, but because they are interested in the personal benefits. One thing I would caution you on is this: recruiters will pretty much tell you whatever you want to hear just so they can get you in the door, so they are very prone to tell you "oh you'll probably never see combat". They don't care because once you sign your name on the dotted line, you belong to them and that's that. That's straight from the lips of an army recruiter. I just want you to be aware that nothing is guaranteed. If you sign up for the military, don't think for one minute that you can't be called to duty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
There is nothing wrong with serving your country, and having your own opinion. That's what this country is about. There is also nothing wrong with trying to avoid being a meat shield (being on the front lines).

I know that if any of us were called to battle, we would do it with as much bravery as we could muster. But that doesn't mean we are less brave if we don't want to be Infantry.

Make sure you have a list of MOS positions you would accept, and don't sign up unless you get what you want.
thanks to both of you. i've heard recruiters kind of suck and that you should make sure to get everything in writing and make sure you know what your signing up for before you sign.

haha, yes i would like to avoid being a "human meat shield". it's not as much not wanting to be in combat, just not a "human meat shield".

thanks for the info
User owns 1x Pumping Iron (25th Anniversary Special Edition)