View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Pfisterer View Post

My grip has improved since I started using straps. By using straps,
I'm in this camp. I am not a pure powerlifting and have never trained for strongman, but I consider myself reasonable strong for an old fart powerbuilder.

I trained without straps for over 22 years. Last year my overall strength started to quickly surpass my grip strength. I would fail deadlift sets and barbell rows because of grip. So for a year or so I debated using straps. I simply hated not being able to strengthen my back because of grip limitations.

Training with Versa Gripps, my deadlift totals have rocketed up, and I am now able to do more reps on RDLs, shrugs and back movements as well. And I feel my grip strength improving, because of this. I can do static holds after deadlifts, and feel wicked forearm pumps.

The bottom line for me will always be the deadlift. When I dump the straps now and try a single, my grip doesn't feel like an issue.

I can't say this is the best route for everyone, but the flexibility that straps provide allows me to train longer and get stronger. Straps appear to be helping my grip.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-04-2010 at 12:26 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote