Old 07-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
Craig Pfisterer
I Haz a Kat
Max Brawn
Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42 Points: 4,544, Level: 42
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: ON's Pro Complex Gainer
Craig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributorCraig Pfisterer is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwillstrong View Post
I'm just curious as to why you would strap up on farmers? I think you know that you cant strap up in competition, so why lift with them? I personally wouldn't strap up because really whats the point.
Not entirely true. At least two contests this year have allowed straps on the farmer's walk event. Now I don't agree with doing farmer's with straps as I like the grip aspect but it is used in some contests.

As far as the point, Tony has already mentioned that he does it as a supramaximal exercise to get used to the weight and it will help strengthen his lower back, legs and upperback more than if he did it without the straps (if grip is in fact his problem). I know that in Tony's case it's due to the knuling/taped handles that tend to tear calluses on his particular farmer's handles that he straps up to spare his hands, not his grip. I know of another person who will strap up for farmer's to work the hips and ankles extra hard while sparing the grip (they do grip stuff on a different day and lack access to a yoke). Other reasons are using them to train for other events like a makeshift car deadlift or makeshift frame lift/carry.

Quote:
Ok I see what your saying but picking up 360 is different than sprinting with 300. Your pickup on 300 will be quicker but I dont think it will increase your time for distance. The thing is with picking up 360 your feeling the weight for 2 seconds and then you drop. It would be different if you held it for 10-30 seconds.
That is just picks and you are right that that won't necessarily translate over to being faster with say 300lbs per hand. It is just training one aspect of the farmer's walk event. I know that you are using a modified version of that template C.J. Murphy wrote for strongman training so you do have an understanding of undulated periodization on the moving events. Heavy short, light long, heavy long and light short right? Some weeks you work on technique and foot transition speed and other it's just brute strength. It can be broken down more if you can identify weak points (pick up, foot work, breathing, upperback, turns, etc.) but it works well as is.

Quote:
Well why not go strapless on deadlifts to improve your grip? Why not work on that weakness? Not only just doing grip work but in your lifts also. I personally wouldnt let my body get weak because my grip is failing but thats the reason why i dont strap up, and that a reason why I dont have problems with my grip. I know that if I did strap up then I would probably increase my lifts but whats the point? But I guess its preference.
My grip has improved since I started using straps. By using straps, I've been able to work on building up my back (especially upper back) and that has translated over to a stronger grip for me. Now I don't just strap up right away, I do things double overhand until I feel I can't get the required reps (usually triples) and then go to straps. I improved my farmer's walk by 40lbs per hand in about 4.5 months (August 09 to December 09) by incorporating rack pulls with lots of band tension. I used straps to keep my spine from rotating by favoring one side with the alternated grip which is why I favor double overhand (besides going for a max deadlift). It also allows me to put more effort into grip things.