View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
Jwillstrong
Brawn
Points: 288, Level: 5 Points: 288, Level: 5 Points: 288, Level: 5
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Jwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality postsJwillstrong has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
The Point is adaptation. The more you can pick up, the more your muscles will adapt. Even though, it seems that he is putting his grip at a disadvantage, that is incorrect. EX: 400lbs with straps will stimulate more than 300 pounds without. The major gripping muscles are still being worked harder, and even the will still have to work just as hard or not harder. If there is not a point to using straps, then what is the point of FORCED REPS, Assisted Chins/DIPS, wrist wraps, elbow or knee sleeves, and even a WEIGHT BELT?

ANSWER: to get somewhere that you havent been by pushing limits that you otherwise wouldn't without any of them.
Here you say "The more you pick up, the more your muscles will adapt." In competition you cannot use straps on farmers walk. So if you cant pick it up strapless then how will your muscles adapt. Its great and wonderful that you pick up a hell of a lot of weight with straps, but in competition there aint no straps. Only in deadlift and thats it!
Ok dont get me wrong on this. I didnt say that not using straps wasnt a good thing. Theres a time to use them and theres a time to ditch them. I just stated that in the sport of Strongman there is no point in using straps on farmers walk. It is an agility/grip event. So if you supplement straps in for farmers your really hindering yourself. Which its kinda pointless to go from 290without straps and then go 340 with straps. Theres no grip work there, so you arent improving yourself. You are totally right in adaptation. Lifting is all neurological, you have to literally feel the weight to lift the weight. For instance, The first time I tried lifting the 285# stone over 48" I didnt get it, so it took me 2 weeks to finally get it over. Its the same thing with farmers. Your exactly right also on "to get somewhere that you havent been by pushing limits that you otherwise wouldnt without any of them." Pushing the limits is being determined, so if you fail to get 360 on farmers you keep trying. If you dont get it that day, you put in the work, and you keep trying when they come back around. Im not doubting its a strong lift because it is, but it would be that much more impressive without straps. In the world of strongman there aint no straps on farmers. Plain and simple.
Here is a video of one of my friends in Fort Pierce, FL. He is also a fellow strongman. If you notice in the video he attempts 615# a lot, but one thing I noticed is that he didnt run and get his straps. He fought through it. Its all about PERSEVERANCE, HARD WORKING BABY!!!
TRAIN HARD AND STAY HUMBLE!!!!!

Last edited by Jwillstrong; 07-03-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Jwillstrong is offline   Reply With Quote