View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

In my opinion, losing fat and gaining muscle is an extremely hard thing to do, and is rarely a solid approach for a beginning lifter. You have to walk a fine calorie line, often staggering carbs, or zig zagging calories. For some Paleo approaches also work.

I simply do not believe that when you are in your prime you should have undereating days. I would rather see you do a long term clean/whatever bulk 300-500 calories above maintenance, or just eat and take advantage of your age and metabolism.

Most pro naturals I talk too will tell you the same thing. Get the mass first.

I know there will be some disagreement with my views. But the issues with beginners is that they generally don't know their bodies, or how their bodies grow and react to food. I do know that far too many "hardgainers" are undereating and not hardgainers at all. And from this, it stands to reason that tinkering with lower calories/carbs as a beginner can be a dangerous game if mass is your goal.

If you train hard, you can add an incredible amount of muscle in 2 years, gain minimal (under 10 pounds) of fat, and have your entire life to cut.

Just my 2 cents.

I will also add this...when you cut, you look bigger. I am not speaking specifically of this guy you know, but many guys "think" they are getting bigger as they cut because you look bigger when you shred.

Unless I see caliper readings, and accurate lean body mass measurements, I am highly skeptical that the person gained muscle. Shredding is not easy, especially going from "I have abs" to "I am freaky shredded." It's difficult to maintain all your mass.

There is no secret. The secret is that 99% of bodybuilders build mass, then shred. They have on-seasons and off-seasons. Some genetic freaks can do both at the same time - some by luck, and some by body mastery. But like I said, as a beginner, I believe it to be misguided.

At some point after you have gained a solid amount of lean muscle, and you start to look like a bodybuilder, you could experiment with carb cycling and/or calorie cycling. But quite frankly, I don't think it's worth your time. Like I said, some will disagree. So I hate to tell you what to do.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote