View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
I need to set a new max every week. Thats what its all about. Breaking Records.

As far as the belt. My abs are more sore after a squat or deadlift workout with a belt as opposed to an ab routine. Its due to expansion against the belt

When I say MAX, I mean 1 rep max. I also push to constantly do more than I did last time, but I'm not setting a new 1 rep max each week, are you?

Have you ever tried to hold a "planche"?

Working the gymnastic moves taught me a whole new way of experiencing core strength, and how it is employed. To do a planche, or even any of the easier progressions up to it, you must contract your abs tightly for rigidity. Pushing your abs out gives you nothing.

I've worn a belt in the past to do squats. Without wearing one, I need to contract my abs tightly, pull my shoulder blades together, and build rigidity into my whole core, front to back. It brings a more whole body approach into play when performing the movement.

Like I said, this is my opinion. I've done it the old way, I prefer this way. In a very real sense I've had to start over because I'm working muscles in a way they have not been stressed before. I can tell you that my lower back has never felt better, and I have much less problems with doing bent rows, cleans, and deads. My lower back feels worked, but not sore that that it causes pain. There is good muscle growth happening there.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote