View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Marc
[][]----------[][]
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30 Points: 2,463, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Marc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributorMarc is a dedicated contributor

Center up the Flange and screw it in. I also added another 20" 2x6 underneath the center frame to support the side plates but probably isnt necesary.

Ok so now comes my chosen rigging and handle setup. I spent a ridiculous 52 dollars on this junk, half of which I could have probably found in my garage but again Im very picky and I wanted this to look decent and everything match.

Two 1" coupler
Two 1" by 6" pipe
Two 1" floor flanges
Tape
Four 1/4x20 bolts, one is about an inch longer than the others, youll see why below
Four 1/4x20 nylon lock nuts
Eight 1/4" washers
Four slightly larger diameter washers, same 1/4 ID
Two sections of 10' chain, I chose some chrome 820lb load bearing, way overkill but hey it looks tough right?
Two master links
Two big I bolts with 2 nuts, 2 washers, 2 lock washers per I bolt.

Materials for the Handle.

Bolts and nuts for assembly of handle.

Something like this

I threw in some nylon spacers I had laying around just to space the chain out and make everything line up perfect, not necesary at all I guess.

I wrapped my handles in tape, the end caps are the 1" couplers which I really only added so that when you drop the handle on pavement it doesnt get all messed up.

Handle done

layout and drill the holes for the Ibolts. I chose to use two load points because I used wood for the construction of the sled. I didnt want all of the force placed on one bolt and one point on the 2x4. Probably wouldnt have mattered but hey, piece of mind right.

Self explanetary, nut, lock washer, washer, then same on other side.. Obviously measureing top of I bolt to the 2x4 to ensure they are both the same so you have even pull.

I bolts installed

Connect chain sections to your I bolts with the master links, i had to use 4 master links total since the small ones wont go over the I bolt and the big ones wont go through my chain so I had use 2 on each side like a reducer.

Done staining

Always nice to step back and admire a finished project while enjoying a yummy protein shake... Wish it was a Heineken..

Not sure why I included a step by step as Im sure there are alot of home made sleds that far surpass mine but I just figured I would throw the specs in. Maybe someone will think its cool and make one someday.