View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think the key nugget in this study is the following:

Quote:
“These findings support the notion that heavy and light training loads may elicit similar training-induced increases in hypertrophy provided exercise is performed to maximum failure,” the researchers concluded. They believe the greater increase after exercise at 90% and 30% to failure “is likely related to recruitment of more type II [fast twitch] muscle fibers not activated” with 30% lifted well short of failure. (Emphasis mine)
All loads caused hypertrophy, as long as the last few reps were difficult.

The only group not growing muscle were loads done well short of "close to failure."

This isn't the first study pointing in this direction. Carpinelli is one of the brightest names in the iron game, and has been pointing this way for a while. Basically, he has been saying...rep range isn't important for strength or hypertrophy...progression is key for strength and pushing close to failure is key for hypertrophy.

I would caveat this, of course, for advanced trainees. I think the game is much more complicated at that level.

Master Trainer: Bodybuilding, Weightlifting and Lifetime Fitness

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-04-2010 at 07:26 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote