View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post

I'm not sure I understand how going down is hard. Do you mean it is hard for you to reach depth? Tight hamstrongs? No confidence descending with heavy weight?

Negatives are just that. Negative.
Depth is not an issue.

The eccentric portion of the movement is more challenging from a strength standpoint for me then the concentric. It's not a confidence issue. I just don't feel completely in control of the burden of the weight.

Last year my max was 400. Lowering 360 I didn't have to think. 460 is unsteady, unbalanced, and a weak descent. I do not feel anywhere near as in control on the descent with 460.

I feel weak and want to strengthen my control of the descent. I could probably squat over 500 if I could better control 500+. I feel like I did the first time I lifted weights, shaky and unbalanced.

Maybe it's simply a CNS issue. Maybe I need to wait for my tendons and stabilizers to strengthen. Not sure what the driving issue is.

All I know is that on 410+ squats, the weight controls me during the eccentric aspect of the lift. I want to control it. I do not like feeling like I'm driving at 200 mph with no brakes, if that makes sense.

The concentric lift? Butter. I feel strong.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jeremy...regarding the sumo squat rack....because one side is shorter, the pins only go up to 10 hols on that side. ATG I bottom out around pin 7. So the sumo squat rack leaves you 4 to 6 inches to play with for partials.

Definitely not the rack you want for partials.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote