View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #17
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
Some interesting points. Want to explore your take a bit more if you don't mind....
I love the overhead press. Can I ask if you still bench, and why you prefer the press?
I have not benched on a regular schedule for over two years.

I really got away from benching when I started doing a gymnastics strength program. A friend and myself have the same home gym setups, with rings, and paralette bars. We were working hard on doing planche's. Lots of ring dips, chins, core work, handstand pressing moves, etc. link:

Welcome to Gymnastic Bodies Website

Our overall upperbody strength was gaining, and this program was building muscle density that amazed us. Especially since we were only doing bodyweight moves. Planche's are called a disadvanted lever type move. They are very hard to do, and are a great compound move. While we were getting stronger, we also wanted to hit the weights again as well, for heavier leg work. (Leg mass is not what a serious gymnast wants however.)

We got curious, and did check our bench numbers one day. After having not benched in about 18 months at that point, I still pushed 240lbs with some room to spare. I had stepped up to that weight and had already benched several weights working to that number. I believe I could have pushed 250.

I really started to think about what is more important on a day to day basis. Deltoids are the primary muscle we should be developing, and chest as a support group to that end. Your chest is important, but not to the degree that BB routines emphasize. For what we do daily as humans, shoulders are #1, and chest is #2.

cont..
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote