View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerho View Post
Thank you BendtheBar.. very good points from you. Couple of questions though..

1. As for my case. I feel like I've gained too much fat in my first year (although strength and muscle gains have been very good). So now Im in a diet to reduce most of that fat. I plan to do this to end of July, then again trying to really up my strength gains in between August 2010-april 2011..Is that okay?

2. Are my goal mentioned in first post good strength goals before doing more bb-type training: overhead press comparing to bodyweight x 100%, bench press x 150%, squat x 200%, deadlift x 250%?

3. Im quite a tall, 186cm, with long limbs and I have felt that I need to get more reps in my lower body exercises than in my upper body exercises. For example, I can have a very good feeling by doing bench presses 3x5, but same doesnt work in back squat.. Its more like 3x10 to get a feeling to really have trained that bodypart. Can this be the case or is it just my imagination?
Do you have any before and after pictures. Or a current picture? That would help us assess and better advise.

Regarding strength goals...they are good, but do them in a good rep range. You will be very strong at those levels, and you will also gain quite a bit of muscle getting there.

Don't use under 5 reps for training right now. I don't look at strength and bodybuilding as 2 separate journeys. They are basically the same for a very long time, unless you don't eat like a bodybuilder and train with a powerlifting-specific type of routine. Hope this makes sense.

Regarding legs, higher reps tend to work better for many. This isn't unusual at all. I get great chest soreness at 5 reps, but not as much for legs. Legs can easily be work between 8 to 20 reps....that's a good sweet spot for great gains.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote