View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Strength is a necessity for muscle. A constant focus on progression on every set will give your body a reason to grow.

Now with that said, this does not mean that you have to work in rep ranges that are considered "optimal" for strength training. I think it is wise to do do most of your sets between 5 and 10 reps. Some will say 6 to 12, and some will say 6 to 15, etc.

But the big point is that for muscle gains, you want to progress at 5 reps or more.

Conversely, without strength, muscle will not come. I have yet to see a muscular natural or AAS bodybuilder with size who is not strong. I am a big fan of pushing on every set as a beginner and intermediate. Advanced lifters train how they train, so they are a different story.

Get strong on the basic lifts. Use a simple routine. And work within a sensible rep range.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote