View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #25
Donkeypuncher
New Brawn
Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26 Points: 1,905, Level: 26
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Donkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributorDonkeypuncher is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
well the thing is, is that the legs naturally have a higher percentage of slow twitch fibers, so doing some higher rep range is a good way to make sure you hit those. granted this is all relative to goals
Oh, I agree, I just don't believe 8-12 reps is the only rep range you can grow in. Nor do I believe that you should vary your reps or training too often. 20 rep squats and deadlifts are a great way to build muscle. I just think if that's your approach, do 20 reps week in and week out, and add 5 lbs as often as safely possible. Like DC said, if you squat one day, front squat the next, then hacks squat, then leg press, by the time you get back to squat, you're right back where you were strength wise. Same goes for rep ranges. Pick one or two leg exercises, pick a set rep range, and stick with it for years. This is weight lifting, guys need to stop treating it like a new barbie that they can't wait to accessorize and dress up. The other day I overheard two guys say that a calf circuit would be fun. If by fun, you mean counter productive and blantantly homo erotic, then yes, it does sound like quite a bit of fun.