Old 04-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #34
JTM811
Brawn
Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11 Points: 592, Level: 11
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: Off and on 15 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts or Squats
JTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributorJTM811 is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerDude View Post
I agree with this to a certain extent. But why take the time and effort to feed your kids when you know someone else is going to do this for you. After all, this might require not getting your nails done, not having a nice set of wheels or a stereo in your car. Might have to give up the movie channel's on the cable TV. Let's not suggest anyone give up their weed and liquor.

My frame of reference on this is I grew up poor in the inner city, and currently am employed by an organization which deals predominantly with the poor of our community.

It is all about priorities in a good many cases. I am all for assisting those who can not do for themselves. But something I have learned over the years is there is a difference between a poor family and a financially broke family. Poor is a mindset, while financially broke is just a status to be overcome. I had the good fortune to be raised by parents who taught us that just because we had little money, it did not mean we had to be poor.

My community feeds free lunches to the kids as well as free breakfast. When school is over for the summer, they continue this program during the summer break. And it keeps growing and growing every year.
Very good post and outlook on things. I agree with what you're saying. Part of the problem the government is creating is making being poor a lifestyle choice/mentality. Little is being done in this country to help eradicate that mindset, instead the government just throws money at a problem expecting it to get resolved but instead it continues to compound it.

Two of my favorite quotes:

"You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else." Adrian Rogers

"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation." Adrian Rogers
JTM811 is offline   Reply With Quote