Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geelong26 View Post
When overhead pressing is it ok to use your lower body to help lift the bar or is that cheating ?

also I am currently making good progress on the squat, deadlift, bench, press and power clean and I always feel fine after so does this mean that my form must be reasonably good ?

thanks for any feedback
When I do overhead press I don't actually set the bar on my shoulders or chest at all. I hold it just in front of my chin, so if I push with my legs it wouldn't really help. I don't use leg drive when I do OHPs, but the push press is also a great shoulder movement. Sometimes after my OHP work I'll do either some heavy push presses or keep the weight I was using for OHPs and do some high rep push presses as a finisher.

As far as feeling fine after lifting, it depends on how much you're lifting. If you're not moving very much weight then you may feel like everything is fine when actually your form is complete shit. Even if the weight is heavy and you feel fine you may be one lift away from injuring yourself if your form is off.

I don't mean to freak you out, but it's true. As you keep progressing the best thing to do is to become a student of each lift and keep learning about form. We'll also be happy to take a look at some vids and make sure you're on the right path.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote