View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I've just watched both videos. I've not seen him before.

I thought the introduction about the veracity of a claim being independent from who's making it was right on the money - and quite well articulated.

Despite this, the objections to what he is saying seem to be based just on his appearance, and not on the substance of what he's saying. And what he's saying seems pretty straightforward and sensible: stop worrying about the minutiae of nutrient timing over the day, just eat appropriate amounts.

What's not to like about that?

For years, magazines told us that you can't absorb more than 30g of protein at a sitting, you have to scarf down protein 12.6 minutes after you left the gym etc. Most of this advice came from 'real world experience'.

The problem with taking advice from someone based on real-world success is that you may end up with a bucketful of red herrings. I well remember a bodybuilding friend of mine, an absolutely colossal dude, who used to get up at 2 am for some more protein in case he 'went catabolic' And he coached other people to do the same! I would say he got to that size in spite of his 2am feeds, not because of them. Another example: 40 years ago, some bodybuilders swore that powdered gland extracts gave them the edge, which we now know has to be complete bollocks (literally).

Being a great coach or lifter doesn't insulate against giving terrible advice. Look at Poliquin: I would literally bet my mortgage that some of the stuff he has clients doing is worthless. But on balance he gets so much right that the complete clunkers go under the radar.

It's therefore tough to figure out whether someone really succeeds because of techniques A, B and C which he uses. To me the only sensible way is to evaluate a claim is to test it in some sort of controlled environment. With regard to nutrient timing, the evidence seems to say that it doesn't really matter that much. Again, just eat the right amounts overall. I would have thought that this is common-sense advice that we can all embrace.

To me, it doesn't matter whether it's Ian McCarthy saying it, Arnold Schwarzenegger or Bozo the Clown. What matters is whether he's got his facts straight.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote