Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
How do power belts function in the deadlift and squat? Are these recommended?
You'll hear different theories about how to use belts and why you should/shouldn't use them. For me, a belt functions to help me stay more upright and take some of the strain off my lumbar spinae. When I deadlift I don't have to fight to keep my back from rounding like I so with no belt. But I pulled 500 before I even bought a belt.

I've heard some say that you should actually keep the belt just a little loose, then try to push your abs out against the belt. I don't think of it this way, but I also rarely use my belt anymore.

I also keep my belt fairly low and not completely tight when I squat. I think about angling the belt downward towards the front and hitching it up on my back, and it feels like I'm putting my "gut" over the belt. On deads, however, I have the belt much higher and really tight.

I think it's ok to get a belt and experiment with it regardless of how advanced you are, but it should only be used on your heaviest sets, and only if you really need it. I feel the same about knee wraps.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote