View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

When I first laid out my cube plan, I had squats first in the week. But when I read the kingpin plan it wasn't as flexible as the original cube plan, and I decided to basically follow it as written. I had major qualms about starting things off with a heavy deadlift day, seeing as I haven't deadlifted heavy in quite a while, but I'm committed to following the plan as written, so a heavy deadlift day is exactly what I did today. I did, however, end up tossing out one movement because I started to feel a twinge in my left hamstring. Luckily, nothing popped, but I do wonder if it would have if I had kept pushing it.

No worries. I was going to be sore anyways, and I don't have to do any more heavy work this week. In 3 weeks time when I do another heavy deadlift day I'll be more prepared to really hit it hard. Today I just got the work done and babied it a little. I did, however, actually use a little more weight than listed. But that's because I estimated my max, and probably estimated a bit low. I'll have a real max to use next cycle.

Upper body warm up, done with 2 1/2lb plates-
20 lateral raises
20 rotator cuff raises
20 bent over OHP's
20 read delt flies

Conventional deadlift-
135x8
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x3
365x2
365x2
365x2
365x2
365x2

Deadlift from boxes-
365x3
365x3

I was supposed to do a couple sets of deficit deads at this point, but I was getting worried about my hamstring. It didn't feel too good at all.

Pendlay rows-
135x10
135x10
135x10
135x10

I kept these fairly light. Normally I do them heavy, but I wanted to get in lots of clean reps. I kept my grip fairly wide to hit my upper back/traps.

Shrugs-
135 for 3 sets to failure. I'll be using a lot more weight on these when I have straps and my hamstring isn't so tweaky.

EZ curls-
75x10
75x10
75x10

Spotted pullups-
3 sets to failure

I'm supposed to do 3 sets of pullups at the end, but I couldn't do more than a couple after all the pulls and curls. So I put a chair behind me and put my feet up on it.

Cool down, done with 5lb plates-
20 lateral raises
20 rotator cuff raises
20 bent over OHPs
20 rear delt flies

I was also supposed to do a little ab work at the end of my session, but it actually hurt my hamstring to do anything, so I called it a day.

During my session I had 2 cups of chocolate milk and 2 granola bars. Now I'm getting ready to have 2 BBQ chicken sandwiches, and that'll be it for carbs until my bench session Wednesday.

I was going to
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote