Thread: Deadlift help
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #21
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
Your shoulders should not be behind the bar, you want to keep your shoulders over the bar. The

When you drop your hips before you start the lift your shins should be very close if not touching the bar.

Review these articles for the proper setup for the deadlift:
Improving the Deadlift
How to Set Up on the Deadlift
Thanks man. I'll have a look at those articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
What position were your feet in during conventional deadlift? Straight ahead or pointed out? you may have ankle mobility issues if you're feeling tightness in your shins. Do you have any tightness/pain when squatting?

You need to get your shoulders further over the bar, think of pulling in a straight line (up). If you watch the video from the side, your are pulling the bar up and back like this: / instead of this: | (look at your arms at 0:09)

Also, you don't need to exaggerate the lockout, it looks like you're leaning back a little too far at lockout.
I have no pain when squatting, it's specifically when I have my feet close together as in for the regular deadlift. With that semi sumo stance, I felt no discomfort whatsoever.

Good point about the lock out (exaggerated due to light weight I think) and the direction of the pull. I'll address that next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank316 View Post
When I competed in the early 90's I switched from a regular deadlift stance to a sumo and added 40 lbs to my dead's. It was just the way I was built from a mechanics stand point.
I would still add rack deads to your work out btw, vary your pin settings in the rack.
No Power Rack at my gym. Any suggestions on what equipment to use instead?

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links