BobbyMac
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor
Default A Sneak Peak at my Upcoming 5x5 Routine (feedback welcome!)

So... as maybe a couple people know, I'm planning on switching from my current split to a 5x5 fullbody workout in a couple weeks or so. My two main reasons for this are that I feel like I get more out of a fullbody, and secondly I'll probably be traveling quite a bit in the next few months and have to miss/modify my schedule. With a fullbody I feel like I won't be tripping too hard if I have to skip/modify it compared to a split.

I've done quite a bit of research on 5x5s and downloaded a few spreadsheets. I've finally found one that I like because it tells me EXACTLY what I should be lifting. Now... I'd consider myself a good cook but even after 20+ yrs of cooking most of my meals by myself I cannot cook without a recipe. I'm just not one of those kinds of people. By the same token I'm the same way with my workouts.

So here's what the core of the workout looks like followed with my own thoughts/concerns on the workout:

Mon:
Squat 5x5
Bench 1x5
Row 1x5

Wed:
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
Military Press 5x5
Chins 5x5

Fri:
Squat 1x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5

It stays like this with pre-prescribed progressive weight increases for 4 weeks and then it switches to a 3x3/1x3 format for the next 5. After that, you can start the program over again which I intend to do.

MY THOUGHTS
The idea of doing squats 3x a week is a little intimidating especially since my legs get sore easily and my back ain't what it used to be. That being said, I think it'd be good for me and I feel like I can handle it as long as I maintain the good form I've been working on so hard with this split workout I'm doing now. I also feel like I need some assistance work; probably no more than 2 exercises/day. I'm thinking:

Mon: planks (3 sets), BB shrugs (3x8)
Wed: weighted sit-ups (3x20), Dips (3x max)
Fri: planks (3 sets), close-grip bench (3x8)

I'd be very interested in hearing anybody's opinions on this. If I don't hear from anyone I'll be forced to re-post this somewhere else!

My training log: Twice a Week, Twice the Recovery!
BJJ in Moldova: Pride Moldova BJJ

Facebook link
BobbyMac is online now   Reply With Quote