View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have some knowledge. Before I heard of C&P, I was playing around with a form of escalating density with bulldozer.

I would rep out and use more rest the deeper I got into muscle fatigue with a weight. At the time I didn't know that bulldozer was similar to EDT, but down the road I learned that they are in the same family tree.

I was also using a form of it with deadlifts, trying to do as many singles within a given time as possible.

I know some about PFT as well. I've read a few books by John Little. His static contraction stuff is simply foolish. Hold as much weight as you can in a contracted position for one second - perform 6 exercises like this. Workout over. But the partials make sense. John is a little "out there", but has some scientific basis for his approach. He doesn't mix his science well with "body health", in that he seems to have tunnel vision about how these systems might impact the joints/connective tissue. His contraction books are pretty much straight linear progression, in that he advocates adding more and more and more. On paper this sounds good, but in essence John is telling you to hold in a contracted position as much weight as you can, and for exercises like shrugs, you can hold much more then you can deadlift. Anyway, avoid his contraction stuff like the plague.

And because of his tunnel vision, I would approach PFT through the lens of how it fits best with your body. I think cycling intensity is much better then linear progression when you're using heavy weight like this. Just my opinion.

back to EDT and adding volume during a period of time...

I recently did an article on triple progression, which is basically a beginners guide to the concept of adding sets to workouts. I like the idea of picking a weight and doing as many reps as possible within a given time frame. It's what I did all year in 2009. While I didn't pick, say 20 minutes, I did 7 "sets" - which aren't really standard sets.

I would do as many reps as possible shy of failure, rack, and continue on. My rest periods were: 30/30/60/60/90/120 seconds between sets. I found this would maintain about the same number of reps going forward. If you really want to bust your balls, try increasing, then decreasing rest periods. You will maintain the same amount of reps for a while, then will ultimately work back down to failure.

30/30/60/60/90/120/90/60/60/30/30

12 sets in about 20 minutes.

My standard bulldozer was about 7 sets in 10 minutes, so basically it was just EDT with structured rests. I like the rest structure because when I get fatigued, it's easier to force myself under the bar again in "30 seconds" rather then "when I'm ready".

I never had a stall using this system, and it was overall my healthiest training year.

I love density training. I always saw bulldozer and C&P as being on the same family tree. Bulldozer used about 10% less weight and slightly higher reps though. I would probably still be using it if I hadn't contracted asthma (or whatever the heck I have).

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 03-27-2010 at 06:33 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote