View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

I don't know if you are aware or not...

But Jason (Icecreamfitness) also recommends periodic Scheduled Deloads.

For instance, you start with 100 Pounds.

Every week, for 6, 7, 8 weeks—whatever—you add five pounds.

At week 6 you're at 130 Pounds.

Week 7 you cut the weight in half and go through your same routine.

i.e. You use 65 Pounds.

Week 8—which is your new week 1—you go back to 130 Pounds.

(or you could reset to 125 Pounds, depending on how aggressive your training and how many stalls you're having.)

The theory is that Muscles grow stronger faster than Tendons and Ligaments and this gives them a chance to recover and catch up.

BUT (according to Theory) if you just took a week off:

A.} You'd looses some Neuromuscular Skill;

AND,

B.} The light pumping movements helps increase blood flow to connective tissue.

I saw Jason demonstrating a Deload on "U" Tube.

He did his 50% normal 5x5 Bench Press weight (I believe that it was Bench) and did all 25 reps at one time.

He remarked that with that light a weight, rest between sets wasn't really necessary.

{Note: 50% his 5x5 weight, NOT 50% his Maximum.}

I remember reading that some of the Olde Tyme Strongmen would work out for 6 weeks and then take a "Sabbatical Week" off.

Maybe if they'd known about the 50% token workout they could have gained a bit more Strength.

I don't remember precisely how often Jason recommends a Deload Week. I think in his system, every 7th week would be a bit often...

But hey, a little playing around with a pad and paper would show that even averaging a Pound per week would get you into astonishing Strength levels in two or three years...

{Of course, even that is a bit unrealistic...}

But going a little slower and more deliberately may very well get you there faster.

{And yes, he includes a wildcard Deload workout or two followed by a reset whenever stalls or connective tissue pains become an issue—but these are in addition to the scheduled Deload Week not instead of.}

You don't have to do it this way, but I couldn't tell from your post if you were aware of that Aspect of Deloading.

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote