Thread: Cheating
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Do you think it's good to be strict on isos like curls and calf raises?
Those are 2 exercises I tend to cheap on, so good question.

For curls I tend to start strict and use more english on the second or third set. There is nothing inherently wrong with straight cheat curls as long as they are performed with controlled aggression and not with such horrible form that you risk injury.

For standing calf raises I tend to rock a bit on the last few reps to cap off a set.

As long as these movements are performed intelligently, cheating is ok. Explosive movements - what we call english - simply bring additional muscle groups into the picture to complete a rep.

Think of this - reverse barbell curls vs. power cleans. Same style of movement, but one is isolation, one compound. The more you cheat, the more you bring into play other muscle groups. This is not inherently bad if done in a sane way.

Are they more effective than strict reps? That is debatable. Are they a good tool at the end of a set when fiber recruitment is peaking? I think so.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-04-2013 at 11:10 AM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote