View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
CountryFriedMuscle
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,780, Level: 24 Points: 1,780, Level: 24 Points: 1,780, Level: 24
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Log Press
CountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributorCountryFriedMuscle is a dedicated contributor

My approach to this varies with what kind of method I am using at the time. If I am using a method with a lot of emphasis on percieved intensity, and pushing very hard (think 5/3/1 type of routine) I prefer to ramp the sets to one all out top set where I give it my all. I think this works especially well for building muscle via the big lifts.

However, I think that for pure strength gain, straight sets are a better option for some lifters, myself included. I believe it gives you more attempts at setting up for the lifts. In addition, I believe that with a moderately heavy weight, you can still get stronger, but keep your technique tight so you don't get into bad habits. For this type of training, I think the name of the game is moderation; using manageable weights with decent volume to spur adaptation.
CountryFriedMuscle is online now   Reply With Quote