Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #981
JD85
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

JD85 is new to the forumJD85 is new to the forumJD85 is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Excellent.

Good progress. My main advice is to keep at it. 2-3 months isn't a long time. It will take 2-3 years to put some quality size on.

I suggest measuring your quads every 2 months so you have a measuring stick as to how things are going. If you are not seeing a consistent size increase these are some likely reasons:

1) You need more leg volume.
2) You need more food.

Because your upper body is growing, I am wagering that you need more stimulation.

I would add in leg presses.

You might want to modify your 5x5 to an A/B split an alternate between front squats and leg presses. I would also increase the front squat reps to 8 to 10 per set. Something like:

Workout A - Front squat 4-5 sets x 8-10 reps
Workout B - Leg press 4-5 sets x 15-20 reps

Also, you didn't mention your weight.
Thanks for your help. My weight is around 230lbs. I think some muscle memory played a part because I have gotten big before, but for some stupid reason I stopped lifting. But I plan on staying with this long-term and I really appreciate your advice.

I'd love to add in leg press but I only have access to free weights right now. Do you know of any other good free weight exercises that target quads? Maybe should I add in some regular squats or stiff-legged deadlifts (for hamstrings)?

Last edited by JD85; 10-22-2013 at 09:55 PM.
JD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links