View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Butt View Post
Something I'd like to point out is that Reg Park rarely did Deadlifts for any amount of time himself. Park had a long-running history of minor lower back problems since he was a teenager, so he favoured the "quick lifts" such as Power Cleans and High Pulls in his own personal training rather than Deadlifts. By the early-to-mid 1950s he recommended that experienced trainees only work up to one top set of Deadlifts and that should be done only once or twice a week - not three times as the routine seems to imply. It looks to me as though this routine came from possibly an old Reg Park Journal and the original presenter left out the special considerations Park added in about the Deadlifts, or the details just got lost over the years.
Thanks Casey for this post. It really shines a light on the reality that I need (and want) to study these guys more. I am just beginning to tap into the lifting habits of old school lifters and had no clue that Reg rarely deadlifted.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote