View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
kitarpyar
Max Brawn

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

Low reps/ fairly short rest intervals (~1 minute or less). After the standard w/o, try some cheating reps (push-press instead of the regular press!!). If needed some modification in your lifting technique.

Once upon a time military press was my weakest, but I focussed a bit on it last year and my year ending max was 155 x 1, which was a good way more than 115 x 1 few months before I focussed on the press. Some minor changes in the way I pressed helped as well.

1. Instead of pressing from racks, I started pressing after a clean. I had come to realize, pressing from a rack left me some leeway to cheat (partial reps) which wasnt helping much. Clean and press ensured a full ROM

2. After cleaning the weight to my shoulder, I paused for a 2-3 seconds during which first I consciously stiffened my legs and then I consciously tightened my mid-section, and then pressed the weight

3. A slightly wide stance and a slight bend locked at the knee (the bend at the knee stays constant, i.e. its not a push) seems to help me. Somehow, I feel more stable doing a military press that way

Just my $0.02.
kitarpyar is online now   Reply With Quote