Thread: Q&A with BBOD
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #870
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonb26189 View Post
Thanks for the great advice Steve! Never considered myself to be strong at all even at my weight!

Do you think that deltoid muscle mass is completely down to presses alone and isolation movements like lat raises and upright rows have little or zero impact on the addition of muscle in that area? As i said, i'm trying to 'hit' my medial delt and give my shoulders a more rounded 3D look... SO is there any way to shift attention onto that area of the shoulder?

Do you think that i should just focus all my attention on getting stronger on my presses? Or is there something in my isolation movements that i am overlooking which will give my shoulders the effect i want?

Also, side question... Whats your opinion on dumbell shoulder press vs barbell shoulder press?

Cheers!

Any exercise can have an impact.

I look at it like this...each exercise has a potential progression range. Military press you can get a lot stronger. I went from, 65 pounds to 315 pounds, strict overhead. This took 20+ years. Laterals I went from 15 pound laterals to 30 pounds, strict, over 20 years.

Compound movements have 2 advantages that isolation movements do not:

1) You can get a lot stronger on them.
2) This strength progression requires years of work.

Isolation movements typically cap out very quickly. I also see lifters cheating (way too much) on them just so they can move more weight. If you want to use more weight, use compounds. Don't turn an isolation into a compound.

Compounds always have to be the base. When it comes to dumbbells or barbells, it doesn't matter to me - if the goal is muscle building. Pick the variation you prefer.

I actually like 12 to 20 rep seated overhead dumbbell presses. The older I get, the harder it is to enjoy low rep overhead pressing.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote