JumpmanRugs
Max Brawn
Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28 Points: 2,181, Level: 28
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squat / Deadlift
Fav Supp: Motivation
JumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributorJumpmanRugs is a dedicated contributor
Default Hybrid Strength Training

I'm curious as to what you guys feel towards this topic.

So when I started lifting 4 years ago I was 120lbs, and before I picked up a weight I did some research. Unfortunately all I had access to was a Smith Machine so in turn I missed on some awesome beginner gains that I should have had, and my workouts were more hypertrophy focused. Now of course they are strength based, low reps with heavy ass reps.

Now, what is the benefit of doing them both? I enjoy both training styles, and enjoy the results from both. I would much rather lift heavy for low reps, but I would quite like to build some muscle, as such (Obviously not looking to be a bodybuilder, just bigger).

This is normally how my training goes, and it' working well for me right now.

1 - Bench, BB Rows, CGBP, Dips, Chin Ups
2 - Hang Clean to Push Press, Speed Deadlift
3 - Squats & Deadlifts
4 - Hang Clean to Push Press (Sometimes speed squats or deads, depending on how I feel)

This is combined with basketball every day. My bench sucks so bad so I'd quick like to add that session in twice a week, what do you guys think?

Can I build some sort of HYpertrophy training in to that and still reap the rewards and the great athletic ability I'm getting (Already athletic and fast, just want to be mad strong now) currently. I'm getting bigger doing lower reps with heavy weight on strictly compound exercises, could I use those compounds in a hypertrophy way also? Perhaps pyramid sets? Any insight guys? Thanks!!

Last edited by JumpmanRugs; 09-15-2013 at 12:36 PM.
JumpmanRugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links