Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
STRESS, yeah, that could very well be it.

Just started college this week, was very stressed.

I feel vibrant and healthy, its only when I was lifting that I felt weak, not in everyday life.

Cheers Steve.
You're going to have times like this. Your body is an extremely complex machine, and sometimes many small factors combine to have a dramatic effect on what your body can or can't do. Stress is a HUGE factor, because it causes many biological changes both directly and indirectly. I won't get into the myriad effects on a specific bases, but suffice to say that IT'S OK! You may notice that around here we preach certain ideas over and over. Progression is one, but another big one is consistency. You've reached a sticking point. You may have to actually back off a little on the weight for a while because your ability to recover from each session has taken a hit (your body is already trying to deal with the effects of other stressors. Remember, that's all that exercise is; getting your body to adapt to new stressors by getting stronger. More stressors=less ability to recover from each one), but this is the time to make sure you stay consistent and stick to your plan.

Ironically (or not, depending on how you look at it), the best thing you can do is to not stress about it (see what I did there?). Back off on the amount of weight on the bar if you need to and go through your recovery checklist; maximize amount and quality of sleep, keep getting your foods, make sure to HYDRATE, and understand that you didn't do anything wrong.

As new stressors come into your life training may have to take a back seat to other things. That doesn't mean stop lifting, it just means don't go at it with quite as much intensity and veracity. Will this affect your gains? Yes, but not nearly as negatively as either not dealing appropriately with your stress or, worse yet, giving up on training entirely until the tough times pass.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote