View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #832
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

My new plan is as follows:
  • Weeks 1-4: Ramping Volume Training
  • Weeks 5-8: Ramping Heavy Training
  • Week 9: Deload

Over 2 years ago I started high frequency training. I was working every lift 3x a week. This last year I got sloppy and went minimalist. While this worked, the lack of reps barely qualified as exercise. I also lost some muscle size, which annoys me.

I want to test some periodization. This will allow me to build some of my muscle back via rep work while also improving my conditioning and health. These goals are not directly strength related, but I do need a more well-rounded approach. I am not getting any younger.

Finally, I just want to try it. No harm, no foul.

Volume Training

Each lift will be worked 3x a week. Here is the set and rep protocol I will be aiming for:
  • Week 1 5x6 @ 60%
  • Week 2 5x5 @ 65%
  • Week 3 5x4 @ 70%
  • Week 4 5x3 @ 75%

Heavy Training

Each lift will be worked 3x a week, but only one of these workout swill be a heavy training session. The other 2 will be mild volume. The heavy days are as follows:
  • Monday Heavy Squat
  • Wednesday Heavy Bench
  • Friday Heavy Deadlift

The 4 week heavy cycle will look like this:
  • Week 5 2x1 @ 80%
  • Week 6 2x1 @ 85%
  • Week 7 1x1 @ 90%
  • Week 8 1x1 @ 95%

A full week for each lift will look like this:

Squats
  • Monday Heavy
  • Wednesday 4x4 @ 60%
  • Friday 4x4 @ 60%

Bench
  • Monday 4x4 @ 60%
  • Wednesday Heavy
  • Friday 4x4 @ 60%

Deadlift
  • Monday 4x4 @ 60%
  • Wednesday 4x4 @ 60%
  • Friday Heavy

NOTES

1) Percentages are based upon a 15 pound increase to squats and deadlifts per cycle, and 10 pounds to bench press per cycle.

2) This is a blend of my old training and Korte. Korte really wasn't that far removed from what I had been doing, sans the volume work. I altered a few things to fit my needs.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote