View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Big_Sleep View Post
]
--Personally, I think one of the most prudent times to take niacin given these findings would be about 60-90 minutes before you hit the hay.
Interestingly, the research into B vitamins and sleep has been quite equivocal. It's probably bad form to quote myself, but here are some notes I wrote for students:

Quote:
Interesting recent research has implicated diet in insomnia, and in particular in the oversupplementation of vitamins! Previous research had suggested that B vitamins might be helpful in relieving sleep disorders. However, Lichstein et al (2007) had 517 participants complete questionnaires about vitamin use, and keep a sleep diary. Those partcipants who took single or multivitamin supplements had poorer sleep, woke up more in the night, and took more sleep medications.
However, we have to be cautious about the research:

Quote:
...the studies of vitamin supplements and insomnia only show that insomnia and vitamin supplementation are linked, not that the vitamin supplements cause the insomnia. It may be that people who take vitamins are, in general, more concerned about their health, and therefore focus and worry about sleep-related issues more. This might be sufficient to keep them awake at night, as a key variable in insomnia is worrying about insomnia!

Not disputing that niacin might boost growth hormone, provided one can get to sleep in the first place.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote