View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I've seen a lot of chatter recently regarding just how many men are truly hardgainers. Some believe that this is just an excuse, and some believe a majority of men are hardgainers. I'm talking both strength and muscle.

Personally, I believe if you are relentless about progression and have your diet down, you may gain at a slower rate, but over time you will make consistent physique and strength improvements. I've heard stories about guys that simply can't grow, or just can't squat more, etc. I often wonder if these guys are taking any new steps to cure these stalls, perhaps by adding in powerlifting style strength-building moves such as good mornings, or by eating more food for a given period of time.

Sometimes trainees need to train less. Sometimes more. Sometimes they need higher rep squat work. Sometimes they need more food. Unless I am certain that this individual is taking all steps necessary to learn his body and improve, I don't believe that have plateaued.

I have a hard time believing that men can stall after 5 pounds of muscle, or after a 200 pound squat. Certainly, there are genetic freaks on both ends of the spectrum, but I surely don't believe that a high percentage of beginners will stall with only 5 pounds of muscle their first year.

A realistic expectation is 10 pounds of muscle.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote