View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenReilly View Post
Didn't mean to offend anybody by posting the other videos...I was just showing people an example of how not to be "that guy" in the gym, and to make sure they check their form.

Dude is strong, no doubt
No worries. We all now know the Max has come a long way. Even Jim Wendler himself has criticized Max:

EFS Hit List

I watched his early videos, not knowing it was him, and worried for his safety. Max must has a hard shell, because he's been hammered by many. But as I stated in that thread, I respected his dedication. Without knowing it was Max, inside I knew that kid would succeed.

I want this to be a forum where we help and lift each other up. This doesn't mean that we ignore flaws. But it does involve respect.

I was the biggest offender by allowing that thread to go on. I should have asked myself the question, if Max was on this forum, would he have felt comfortable and respected here?

That is the rule that I think we need to use going forward. I don't want anyone to take personal offense to this statement - it's not meant to be pointed in anyone's direction other then mine.

It's perfectly fine to post videos of crazy lifting. I've done it, and most of us have. But it's a fine line between laughter and constructive criticism, and bashing. I like to laugh at crazy form. Heck, I have 3 of the most popular lifter blooper videos on Youtube. This laughter is not mean-spritied. But as a group we started name calling and attacking. Again, I only point the mirror at myself.

I am certain that Max would look back at those videos and know that his form was horrible. And I am certain he would understand our concerns. I have listened to Max's Youtube channel, and know he is highly intelligent.

I don't want MAB to be a sterile forum where we can't laugh and joke. But I do want it to be a forum of respect. And as a group...we dropped the ball a bit today. Things like this happen in life, and no one is "evil" because of it. Let's just learn and move on - and hope that Max joins us so we can congratulate him mano-a-mano.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote