Deadlift Only Dude
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17 Points: 1,018, Level: 17
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 9 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Dymatize Elite Whey
1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor1Strength is a dedicated contributor

I mentioned Cluster Sets in my training post. I've been thinking of adding them in for the next 3 weeks. I want to do something more with them but I'm not sure this is the right time.

I've flipped open an old routine I did in 2008 which taught me a lot (albeit it did not give me great results): Maximum Strength by Eric Cressey and here's the layout he gives:

Week 1: (2 x 4) x 5 = 40 reps
Week 2: (1 x 5) x 5 = 25 reps
Week 3: (1 x 4) x 6 = 24 reps

That's some crazy volume to begin with.

So the reason why I want to throw this in is just to get some volume work in with light weight but with a purpose. There's no way I'm going to be heaving a lot of weight on this but it will be have an effect in creating a buffer for me once I get back to doing Front Squats regularly with 275+ like before.

SO, I'm going to be doing this for the next 3 weeks:

Week 1: (2 x 4) x 5 = 40
Week 2: (2 x 5) x 4 = 40
Week 3: (1 x 7) x 5 = 35

Very basic and very simple. No sudden change in volume. I reckon that the weights for Weeks 1 and 2 will be the same and then for 3 I'll be able to add a little bit only. This is exactly what I want.

I'm debating on where to insert this. I have Front Squats (FSQ) twice a week at the moment:

Day 1 = DL
Day 2 = Step-ups, FSQ, Weighted Pull-ups & Rows
Day 3 = Weighted Pull-ups & FSQ
Day 4 = Whatever

I will be inserting this progression into Day 3. Day 2 has Front Squats merely as a form of movement so I don't stay too stiff. I warmed up to 225 x 2 x 3 last week and that is both light weight and low volume exactly like I wanted. I'll be maintaining that. I've peaked out at 275 x 2 FSQ on the heavy day (Day 3) at the moment so I want to do this to give me that edge.

I think for the Weeks 1 and 2 I will be using 165 or 185 lbs...yeah very light compared to normal. I think for Week 3 I can do 205. Let's see.

So this is the plan for now.

My YouTube Channel
1Strength is offline   Reply With Quote