View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinWorkouts View Post
On 12-13-2012 I hit 185lbs on OHP.
On 5-31-2103 I hit 455lbs on Deadlift
Around 4-19-2013 I hit 225lbs on Bench Press
On 4-23-2013 I hit 315lbs on Squat but my 3 rep max have increased since then.

Used Jefit Pro to go back and look at my data.
Ok so no stall on squats.

First let's establish reason expectations. You're an intermediate lifter. If you can add 2-3 reps per month, per lift, you're making decent progress. Not great progress, not poor progress, but this is +24-36 reps per lift per year. This can equate to a 30-50 pound bump, which is decent for where you are at.

Now certainly we want to improve this if we can. There are a limited number of variables, so let's address them.

1) Missing workouts. Are you missing workouts? If so, your commitment is letting you down.

2) Food. Are you trying to chase too many goals at once - like losing weight and gaining strength? Doesn't sound like it.

You do have an intense job. This is an important variable change. You've only been at this for 3 weeks, so I think it's THE issue.

I worked as a machinest for 3 years when I first got into powerlifting. It was the most physically demanding job I've ever had. It took some time to adapt. I also had to keep tinkering with my eating so I wasn't losing weight.

I think you need to give it one more month, allow your body to adapt, and keep trying to out-eat your job. It can be done, and you will start gaining strength.

3) Lifting. You're going to have to make adjustments. I would only heavy floor deadlift every third week, and then I would not recommend going above 90%.

My advice when it comes to improving any lift is to focus on improving overall body strength. I would like to see you get your back as strong as possible...315 barbell rows for 5+ reps, and 180 dumbbell rows for 5+ reps. That's possible. If you can do that I guarantee your deadlift will improve.

Your dumbbell benches are too low of reps for my blood. Get them 8-15 reps per set, and push for that +1-2 every workout. I've never seen dumbbell work and low reps as a good fit, unless it's rest-pause.

Squats...get your quads strong. If you are wide stance use a more conventional stance.

Pressing...get your triceps strong. Reps, reps, reps.

Not sure if this has helped much. Hopefully some.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote