Thread: Q&A with BBOD
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #601
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB1987 View Post
Hello BBOD,

I'm a 25 year old male, and I started weight training about 6 months ago. I work with an older man in his late 50's who used to be a bodybuilding/fitness coach back in the late 80's early 90's. I told him I wanted to start working out but I'm not out to become a bodybuilder. I've always been heavy-set & big boned so, I said "I just want to get big and strong, and lose some belly fat". He told me that for isolation exercises, "there is no point in doing a lot of multiples, just do one set & push it to failure, but try to use a heavy enough weight that you're gonna hit failure somewhere in between 8 to 15 reps".

And that's what I've been doing. I'll use my biceps for example, I do 5 different exercises for my biceps each week and I alternate the days so I don't get bored. So far, I've gotten stronger & my arms have gotten bigger.

So i am seeing results. But the reason I'm asking is, I have so many people telling me I need to do multiple this and multiple that or if i don't do multiples I'm gonna have "wimpy" arms! But I am getting results and my arms are bigger than theirs!

So, I would like your opinion, are multiple sets necessary for isolation's or is a one set to failure good enough?
Hi Casey,

Results tend to come from progression and consistency; or getting stronger and not missing workouts. With those 2 things in place, program is usually secondary.

You keep doing what you're doing, especially if you're enjoying it. It's not wrong. There are many paths up the mountain.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links