View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka182 View Post
I'm trying to work the macros for an upcoming bulk...but I keep getting the wrong totals... Using an average of 3 different BMR calculators with sendentary activity I need about 2300 calories to maintain my lovely 240Lbs...
BMR calculators can be horrendous. At 240, you need much more than that to maintain. I maintain around 3400.

What is your weight gain goal for each month?

Here's what I would do...run 3500 for 2 weeks and watch the scale. If it stays the same, add 500 cals and try again for 2 weeks. If you gain only one pound in two weeks, add calories to adjust to the rate you are trying to achieve. Possible 250 more a day to add a couple more pounds of gain per month.

3500 is a relatively safe number for starts on a bulk. It will allow some give and take. BMR calculators are really no better than guessing. Like I mentioned, your best bet is to get scientific and make adjustments. you might burn a month zeroing in on a good number, but it will be worth it.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote