Thread: Q&A with BBOD
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #563
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
I started training the deadlift this year to make a foray into powerlifting. My best is 535lbs conventional which was a few weeks ago. This week, I was only able to pull 500 but I could feel that my technique was off. I came to the conclusion that I have gotten faster off the floor. Because I am able to break the bar off the ground faster, and I am pulling as fast as possible my hips are now shooting up before I can bring my chest up. So now, I have several questions. They may be silly, but I lack experience so here they are:

1. Does this line of thinking sound like anything you have experienced?
2. Could this mean that my speed is now too fast for my back strength?
3. Should I break the bar off the ground slower, then accelerate my pull?
4. Is it normal to take "two steps forward, one step backward" in powerlifting training?
5. Am I just over-thinking a bad day where I lost form and slipped too far over the bar?
6. General deadlifting advice for a guy who has been training for sports/military for 15 years, but only deadlifting 6 months...?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.
Good deadlift. Focus on driving your head up, or standing up, while pulling the bar back towards the body. This will help with the shooting hips.

2) Not generally. It's related to other form/execution flaws. Most guys pull up instead of standing up. Pulling up tends to involve a more vertical bar bath, whereas standing up pulls the bar back towards the body. This is more natural, and will help keep the hips down.

3) No.

4) Yes. Consistency cures all. Bad days are part of the process.

5) Not overthinking. There are just form cues you have yet to learn.

6) Keep it as natural as possible. Think stand up, and lockout the reps by driving your hips forward and head back. These 2 cues are essentials.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote