View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
MikeM
Max Brawn

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

A wise man on these boards once said to remember the purpose for your grip. And that is to keep your chest open and up and your upper back tight, shoulderblades pinched together. Put your hands wherever it takes to make that happen (as well as secure the bar in the spot you want it to stay on your shoulders).

I believe that is what 1 rep is saying and I'm pretty sure that's what OR is implying with elbows in and forward. It pulls you into a slight arch, opens your chest and pinches your back tight.

However, Iain's point is huge. You have to experiment to find what works for you. Everybody is different. I thought for a long time that keeping my hands in tight would automatically keep my upper back tight. Well, not really. All it did was make me stoop forward and push my face towards the floor down when the weights got heavy.

I got said advice above and voila, moved my hands out some got my chest up and squats took off.

Just my experience. Good luck!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote