View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Epinephrine
Brawn
Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18 Points: 1,162, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Epinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributorEpinephrine is a consistent contributor

Starting Strength would be a good program for him to follow, IMO, but I agree with Off Road on the Power Cleans and Squats.

PC's really aren't the best choice for someone who wants to build strength/muscle who isn't an athlete (football, wrestling, etc.). Form is also a lot harder to nail for beginners. And being 6'4 is gonna make them even harder, lol.

Squats are great, but squatting 3 times a week at 85-95% of maximal strength will burn out anyone quick. I'd probably drop one squat day, or make the middle squat session an extremely light one just to get blood and nutrients flowing.

I think you should go with him to the gym one day and do a full-body workout and see which exercises he seems to like the most and build a program around those lifts. From personal experience it's a lot more fun to go into the gym and smash PRs at lifts you love rather than lifts someone else told you are good.