View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleurplaay View Post
Couldn't have answered your question any better than you did yourself. A calorie deficit means calories out > calories in. Having read a couple of your posts I think I have a decent idea of what you want to gain from lifting.

An idea for you would be to find your maintenance calories, train hard. Slowly add in extra calories (say 150 at a time?), stay on those calories for a while and look at what's happening on the scale, in the mirror and in the weight room. It would seem to me that this way you would inevitably find a calorie intake at which you do not get 'fatter' but still gain muscle mass and strength. You'll gain a little fat, that's unavoidable. But if you gain enough muscle mass with that fat I'll promise you you'll actually look leaner. Think of it like this.

Someone who weighs 150 lbs with 15 lbs of fat on him has a bodyfat percentage of 10%.

Someone who weighs 200lbs with 20 lbs of fat on him has that same bodyfat percentage, but also has 50lbs more muscle to go with that fat.

If you track your progress carefully, which I'm sure you can do. You will find a way to maximise your strength and muscle gains and keep the fat gains so low that you will only look leaner and leaner as a result of more muscle mass.

Patience is key here. Changes in weight and muscle mass do not happen overnight and training like this requires quite a bit more precision and elegance than the good ol' bulk & cut, but can be just as effective if done right!

I agree with everyhting youv'e said, but I do moddeling. I have to keep my face lean to keep the job. I was sure my method would work but it doesn't look that way.

I know I'll look leaner over time, but thats the bit thats the problem. Time. It'll take years before I get a true offset of the fat from the muscle I'd gained.

I'd have to put on around 30 pounds of muscle to get to 10% without cutting, which is great from someone not modeling, because you don't have to stress that bit of fat gain knowing you'll end up leaner in the long run.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote